Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30973
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I had a piece of tiramisu for dessert after lunch. I thought I’d treat myself to a decadent dessert to celebrate 7 days sober. First bite YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM, oh my god, so so wonderful. I started wolfing, I had never had such a delicious piece of cake in my life. A sense of calm and peace spread over my whole body. Bliss.
    I stopped. I put down the fork. I remembered- TIRAMISU IS SOAKED IN ALCOHOL!!!!

    I’m so mad, and I have a headache now.

    There’s always tomorrow I guess. Does this mean I start over?

    :damnit:

    #160625
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I have some strict rules for myself where alcohol is concerned, but accidental ingestion I do not count as a relapse.

    #160640
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    i never eat tiramisu because of that alcohol taste. everything else aboot it is good.

    #160630
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    If I ate it, and I didn’t know there was alcohol in it, honestly, I wouldn’t count it.

    If I ate it, realized there was alcohol in it, and kept eating it, then I would count it.

    An honest self exam of the situation and my motives, usually gives me the answer. 😉

    #160644
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I can’t believe that tiny amount had such a strong and immediate effect on me. Does that reaction continue after you’ve been sober for a while?

    #160626
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    @mrsmurph 1483083 wrote:

    I can’t believe that tiny amount had such a strong and immediate effect on me. Does that reaction continue after you’ve been sober for a while?

    I don’t know, because I’ve been sober for a while.

    Hang in there, Murph.

    #160627
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Focus on your 7 days and be vigilant. You’re doing great, keep going! 🙂
    Cathy31
    x

    #160641
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Aw sweetie I’m sure you didn’t purposely tear up that dessert because of the alcohol!! Don’t worry about it just don’t go grab a martini now cuz you think you blew it. My mouthwash has alcohol, my hairspray has alcohol, the cake in which had vanilla extract I ate had alcohol. It’s ok. You not a stupidhead. Trust me. This is my 7th day too and I’ve been tearing up some sweets girlfreind tee hee.

    #160638
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    LLighten up on you..I did the same thing in early recovery…
    It taught me to be more aware.

    “We have ceased fighting anything or anyone, including alcohol”
    It does get easier….it has for me becasue i renew my commitment on a regular basis to remain willing and teachable

    Today I am much more vigilant…and more aware.

    #160634
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    i had tiramisu on my birthday (9/4), and i didn’t even think about it. i didn’t know it had alcohol in it… but i split the very giant piece i was given into like, 6 or 7 smaller slices with my buddies, who are all from AA. hahaha, i just relaized that we were a bunch of recovering kiddies eating, essentially, rum cake with no idea in our pea brains.

    i think you’re ok. i use listerine… my friend likens that to relapse, but i’m not chasing a buzz, i’m just killing germs. 🙂

    #160635
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I didn’t know that tiramisu had alcohol in it!

    Suppose I won’t eat it now that I do know.

    Hey, it was accidental, you didn’t mean to injest alcohol.

    #160633
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I wouldn’t worry about it. But…if you go back for seconds )-:

    #160636
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I am a proponent of everyone deciding their own sobriety. After all don’t you set your own sobriety date? There are no rules. To misquote Forest Gump’s Mom, “Sober is as sober does.”

    Intent is a huge part of imbibing alcohol in my book. I don’t worry about alcohol in minute and even small amounts in food. As Mike Mass indicated, if you eat 25 helpings and I suspect it would take that much to really have any effect, then your INTENT is to get at the booze. If that is your intent you should go ahead and get it the old fashioned way, DRINK IT. I seriously think one would get sick from the food before you ever really felt the alcohol. Honesty is the cornerstone of any good program. If you know your honest intention that is all that matters.

    Sobriety is as much or more a state of mind as it is a physical state. The AA police rarely visit the dessert cart.

    Jon

    You are doing great.

    #160637
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Last winter I was happily munching on some fudge that a mom had brought to my son’s gymnastics class and as I ate my second piece, she announced “isn’t that great? It has Bailey’s in it!”. Argh! I stopped eating right then.

    The next morning, I kid you not, I woke up and wanted a drink by 9am. This was after over a year of sobriety, during a calm time in my life. I was totally perplexed. I called my sponsor, talked to some friends, and got through it. That night at a meeting I was sharing about it and had an “a-ha” moment – maybe the alcohol in the fudge set off a physical craving. Maybe, maybe not….but something to think about anyhow.

    mrsmurph – I wouldn’t restart my sobriety date if it wasn’t intentional. But like someone else said, if you went back for second…thirds…fourths…well, that’s another story 🙂

    Seven days of sobriety is worth celebrating – congratulations to you! Keep coming back – we are glad you’re here 🙂

    #160646
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Wow, what kind of Italian am I not to know Teramasu has alcohol?? I have it every year for my birthday, this past April I had a big piece after a birthday dinner with my family and I really don’t recall any cravings afterwards.

    Yikes.. some things are better left alone.. I’m going to pretend I didn’t read this for next April as I’m not giving up my one indulgence per year!!! It was hard enough giving up caffeine!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.